Popular Posts

Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Day on the Field

Okay,

Well it wasn't really a day on the field. It was a day in my backyard. but i was ploughing soil, raking grass and vacuuming leaves. So they were field like activities. It's that time of the year again. It was about 12 months ago we gained posession of our new house, I spent all of last summer jackhammering tiles, ripping down brick walls and partaking in other demolition activities that I have no safety training for. And here i am twelve months later making the three month transition from law-student to tradie, where no amount of knowledge regarding the intricacies of the doctrine of remotenenss of damage or the powers of the merits review tribunal is going to help me rip out and shovel the collosal mound of dirt in front of me.

I worked about 6 hours today in the sun, blisters began to appear after a couple of hours, I worked through them until they popped. I took a break, then started again until new blisters formed where the old blisters were. I won't make you squeam with the details, but suffice to say that I let escape an audible wince when I tried to turn a handle to open my bedroom door tonight.

I came across some wildlife today. we have two bush turkeys that have decided to inhabit the bush in our land, pecking at anything that resembles food and even things that dont. They seemed to enjoy birdseed, so I took a bag of it and placed indoors leaning against the glass so they could see it but not get it. Hours of tirelessly pecking at glass ensued, fun was had by all.Anyway, bush turkeys what the hell, this is sydney i didn;t even know they grew in the wild, they look to stupid and slow to be an animal that isn't simply cultivated for slaughter. My sister named one 'glug glug', because of the saggy ballsack looking thing that hangs from its neck. I wanted to call him ballsack, but i don't think my suggestions are welcome in a family environment. So I nodded and mumbled my approval about 'glug-glug'. But fuck it, when the turkey and I are alone i'll call him ballsack. It can be our dirty little secret, just between the turkey and I. I just hope turkeys aren't one of those birds that repeat the shit you say. Could lead to some awkward moments when my mum ushers a group of toddlers to marvel at the big birds. Anyway enough with the dirty talking with birds.

A couple of more things i wanted to do these holidays but didn't put in my last post.

- get really good at the guitar, i've played for a couple of years but never learnt the fundamentals, just jumped straight into songs. Probably because chicks don't dig fundamentals, but its something I feel i'm missing there.

- Read widely- I feel the plethora of case law, legislation and textbooks over the past few years has made my language boring, or is in the proccess of making it boring. So to spice it up a bit i'd like to read some good novels, an autobiography and maybe even dapple in some poetry? (no homo).

okay i'm tired. I'll look to post every few days, at the minimum once a week.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I really want to learn to play the guitar!

    And ps. Ballsack is a great name :)

    ReplyDelete